Job Opportunity Overview: Join a dynamic group of naturalist educators who lead after school enrichment programs, field trips, weekend hikes and summer camp programs that are nature based. Participants are between 5- 16. HAWKs LA educators have experience working with children and/or the outdoors. They enjoy sharing knowledge about the environment, ecology and other sciences that teach and inspire our students. Based on experience, the hourly rate is approximately $25. Interested applicants send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
HAWKs LA is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship.
- Associates or Bachelors degree in sciences or education
- Ecology, biology or other background that lends itself to nature-based teaching
- Imaginative and intutive educator who can share knowledge in a way that children relate and engage with.
- Ability to identify the group’s social, emotional, cognitive and physical needs during hikes and programming
- Ability to lift 40 pounds
- Ability to hike 5-8 miles with a day backpack that carries a water bladder and other neccesities.
- Fluency in California native plants and native animals
- Have reliable transportation
- Current CPR certification for children and adults
- Experience leading nature games, songs and activities
- NOLS Wilderness First Aid a plus
- Educators will lead a small group of students with a co-educator on hikes and other nature activities.
- The person will teach nature-based lessons and ecological systems.
- They will lead nature based games, songs and activities
- Teach trail safety and no trace behind philosophy
- Educators will be responsible for the safety and well-being of students during their time with HAWKs LA
- Communicate with parents prior and after programming through our HiSawyer platform
- Diffuse encounters between students that is not respectful or appropriate
- Ensure the safety of the group as they hike across streams, encounter wildlife and make their way along the trails